Allie is a pretty rough and tumble kind of girl, she falls frequently and it tends to be her "above average" noggin that takes the beating. Well now she will have the scar to prove it. We were all sitting on the couch last night and Allie climbed up and wanted to sit on the edge like all the grownups. She was so proud of herself sitting there watching TV like Mommy and Daddy! Then when she tried to get down, she slipped on a throw pillow and landed face-first on the corner of the coffee table!!!! Joe picked her up, she was crying hysterically and blood was gushing from her forehead. The nurse in me took over and I went to work. Robin got me a paper towel and some ice, Joe called the pediatrician and I held Allie and held pressure and ice over the cut. It was pretty deep and I was pretty sure she was going to need stitches. Sure enough, if a cut is larger than 1/4 inch then they usually recommend stitches. Meanwhile Allie had stopped crying, the beeding had stopped and she was acting like nothing was wrong! She was such a brave and strong girl through the whole ordeal. We took her to the Children's Hospital Urgent Care clinic that is about 10 miles from home. They were so great to Allie and had all the perfect supplies to make her procedure more comfortable. The worst part was waiting 45 minutes for the numbing cream to work while Allie was getting very tired. It was really hard to see her all wrapped up, held down with an examination light in her face. Thankfully she wasn't struggling against the nurse and she was fully numb to the pain of the sutures.
Today she doesn't even act like anything is wrong, she will occasionally play with her hair around the sutures, but she doesn't seem interested in touching them. She is very still and patient while we put neosporin on the site and she seems to be sleeping better too. So we go back to Children's on Saturday to have the sutures out. Then we have to be very diligent about sunscreen and Vitamin E to prevent scarring.
Please excuse the food on her face, but one of the few times I can get her to hold still for a close up is when she is confined to her high-chair!
2 comments:
Such a trooper!! Cutest lil girl ever :)
Ohhhh! Poor thing. A little Frankenstein! Glad she took it so well. I'm sure she was braver than I was when I had to get those stitches on my ankle. I remember I made you and Sarah keep turning around so I could read your tee-shirts to keep my mind off the needles!
Post a Comment